Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dehydrated Mango Chips

Seriously, talk about a busy summer vacation this year. It all started off with a missing husband (not really missing, just a few states away for some training), then an incredibly cool vacation with said missing husband (our first real vacation), and a whole bunch of projects in between. Now that summer is winding down and the kids are getting ready to go back to school, I have a little time to catch up on all the things that have been going down around here.

Why don't I start off with one of my favorite treats? Ever had a mango chip? No? Well, get out your dehydrator because this goodness is meant to be shared. In fact, I learned about these chips from over at dehydrate2store.com. What a great idea, right?

So, the next time you are at Costco's or Winco's and see all of those amazing mangos for a killer deal, pick them up! You won't regret it (unless you allow them to perish in your fridge instead of making a few chips).


And, they are so, so simple to make. Come on! I don't do difficult; I do easy. And these are easy!

Dehydrated Mango Chips

Ingredients:
Mango

Equipment:
Knife, mandolin or meat slicer
Dehydrator

Directions:
1. Rinse the mangos to remove any pesticides.
2. Peel the mangos with a sharp knife or vegetable peeler.


3. Slice the mangos as thinly as possible.


4. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the dehydrator tray.


5. Dehydrate at 120-135°F until crisp.



Tips & Tricks

*If you do not have a mandolin or meat slicer, look into getting one when you have the means. I used my mandolin for years and years before buying a meat slicer, but my meat slicer has become a staple in my kitchen. I use it almost as often as I use my calculator, which is my most used item in the kitchen (weird, eh?). I have a very inexpensive meat slicer and it works great.

*I also have a very inexpensive dehydrator, and it works perfectly. Yes, some day I would like to upgrade, but for now it gets the job done. My theory is simple, "don't spend a lot of money unless you have to."

*I dehydrate my fruit at 120°F.

*Before going to bed, I prepare my foods and dehydrate them overnight. Then they are ready in the morning!

*If the food is sticking to the tray, I place my hand on the bottom of the tray and gently flex the tray upward.

I like to keep my pantry stocked with mango chips for an after school snack. They are a great replacement for potato chips!

1 comment:

  1. Janae-these look SO GOOD! I am so glad you posted this! Once I get more settled I am going to pick your brain about all these neat recipes and what kitchen gadgets I will need :) You make so much fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete